Replace Sewer Line Yourself
Repairing a Drainage Pipe is really the easiest thing that you can do, well that is if you have the tools and you can read a little and maybe even watch a video or two about it Like on YouTube.
Replacing or repairing a Piece of Cast-iron Pipe (Sewer Piping).
1. USE Safety Glasses (For eye Protection) when cutting Cast Iron Piping.
2. Use a Grinder, that has a Diamond Blade. I usually pay about 14.00 bucks at the Home Depot for the Blade and use a DE Walt Grinder about 59.00 bucks for the Grinder.
3. Then Measure the pipe from end to end (If it's a straight piece of pipe. If fittings are needed then use accordingly the right turns). And cut ABS Plastic pipe 1/4" of inch less so it fits in between pipe connections, (You can usually just cut ABS Plastic Pipe with a regular hand saw).
4. Use what is called a Stainless Steel bands, which cost maybe 3.50 each Stainless steel band. Depends on the size of the no-hub band. One more thing you can also use what is called a Fernco Coupling, a rubber coupling with stainless bands on the ends to tighten. But no hub bands are usually better.
5. Tighten the No Hub Stainless Steel Bands with a 1/4" Nut driver, Fairly Snug. Or use a torque wrench.
6. If Pipe is hanging for instance underneath the house then strap every five feet with Plumbers tape to support pipe. Making sure you have a pitch or drop of 1/4" per foot, use a torpedo level. Water will only flow if it has a drop, or pitch. Depending on the distance and the size of the pipe. Code allows 1/8 of inch per foot for 3" or 4" pipe.
7. Always play on the side of safety, by that I mean use common sense, for instance if the ground is wet, be careful with the extension cord. Use cardboard as a something to crawl on. ETC.
8. Check for Leaks.
I always recommend to let a professional, do the work.
American Plumbing Charlie Gonzales, 35 Years Experience in Plumbing and 13 + years Experience in Internet marketing, Video marketing, Local marketing, and S.E.O.
American Plumbing Co.
422 21st ST San Diego, CA 92102