A San Diego Plumber Comments on plumbing Career
Question Posted on Quora.
836 views · View Upvoters
Honestly, I have BAD NEWS for you Ben. I would Really not Recommend, The Plumbing Field. Unless, You Apply the FOLLOWING FRIEND. The Following Good and Bad Reasons.
The Pros and Cons:
1. Most People do Not Like to Crawl underneath Houses. And in Attics.
(You Can Wear KNEE PADS for your KNEES Get GOOD ONES. ALL LIKE A SPONGE TYPE.
And as far as working in attics preferably early in the morning then stop when it gets to HOT and go back in the evening. OH AND USE A PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER OR A COUPLE OF BIG FANS. This is a MUST, ESPECIALLY in THE SUMMER.)
2. Most Plumbers Deal with Drain work. And Unless, you have a strong stomach?? (Well You can also were a MASK. And when there to BAD I just Turn those Down.)
3. Some Companies, make you work on weekends, nights etc..
( You can change company)
4. The first couple of years is Grunt Work. The Pick and Shovel were my Best Friends for several years. (This is a MUST.)
5. Basically your the Gopher for the first few years. ( Same as above.)
6. In order to be proficient in sizing or laying out a plumbing system. You have to go to a R.O.P. or Job Training (P.H.C.C.) to Learn the basics AND INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED AND HEATING. Usually for TWO + Years.
7. If you ever go out on your own. You have to know about. "How To Do Marketing."
OK, Finally!!! The Pros:
Those of us who stay WITH IT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. (Myself for over 35 Years.) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. TO ALWAYS DO EXCELLENT WORK. YES, ALWAYS!!
And YOU WILL BE CLASSIFIED WITH A FIVE STAR RATING ONLINE, ON GOOGLE AND YELP, ETC... and A+ RATED on THE B.B.B.
1. People, will call you all the time it's Sunday Today and I got at least four or five calls to go do some work. ( I scheduled two for Tomorrow. SEVERAL WHERE EMERGENCIES. But this takes Time.)
2. IF YOUR REALLY GOOD AT PLUMBING AND MARKETING. You can WORK ALL THE TIME.
3. You get to choose the Job, the ,Hours, ETC
4. Sometimes I will make Five Hundred in a Day. or More. (But this may Take Awhile.)
5. Like I said Unless You Really like it go for it.
AND ALWAYS CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK AND TRIPLE CHECK YOUR WORK. Go The Extra Mile... Whether Your Roughing in A Toilet to a house, or a entire Plumbing System to a Hospital Building or to A Hotel(s)...
Always Check and Check your work so that it is perfect. Or to the Best of Your Ability.
1. GO TO SCHOOL FOR PLUMBING ( I went to the Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Contractors Association. Training in 1984.)
2. LEARN INTERNET MARKETING. OR HOW TO MARKET YOURSELF ONLINE. I went to a FREE SCHOOL With over 100 Computer Classes. For Three Years In the evenings Mostly.
And I took Twenty Five courses. (Website Design, Word press, Social media marketing, Google, You Tube, Facebook, Twitter And Other High Authority Platforms to Link From, or Post from, Etc...
Oh and I Studied S.E.O. And still Study Daily For OVER THIRTEEN + YEARS ). North City Campus on Aero Drive in San Diego California.
3. Read the Book by Dale Carnegie "How To Win Friends and Influence people." And Then Read it Again..... Listen to People, Let Them Talk, People like to Hear There Name, Be Polite, Be Kind.
American Plumbing Co.
422 21st ST. San Diego CA.
Five Star Rated on Google and Yelp. A+ Rated on the B.B.B.
Affordable San Diego Plumber - American Plumbing
Plumbers Near Me.
Practice Peace, Practice LOVE, Practice Random Acts of LOVE and KINDNESS. KINDLY, SHARE THIS ARTICLE. THANK YOU.